[time-nuts] WWVB sync

Clint Turner turner at ussc.com
Thu Mar 21 13:41:49 EDT 2013

Not to beat the topic to death, I did have an occasion to "repeat" the
WWVB signal.  Although the signals here in Utah are very strong (3-5
millivolts/meter, maybe) they weren't strong enough to find their way
into a noisy office building, so  about a decade ago I built a system
for a friend of mine that works there

http://ka7oei.blogspot.com/2012/08/receiving-wwvb-indoors-so-that-your.html

Apparently, its been duplicated elsewhere for DCF77, etc.  It may be
possible to carefully null the MSF signal without also taking WWVB out
too much, but Murphy says that anywhere it's needed, MSF and WWVB will
be exactly 180 degrees apart!

* * *

There are also some passive "booster" systems, such as this:

http://newdwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4736

This is just a large-ish resonant ferrite antenna circuit into which one
places the watch (or whatever).

This passive device may not help with QRM from MSF or something local
like a switching supply, but it ought to work in cases of weak signal.

73,

Clint
KA7OEI