[time-nuts] HP53132A vs SR625

Volker Esper ailer2 at t-online.de
Sun Mar 17 18:43:33 EDT 2013

You have the chance to compare both, and the fact that the HP performed
so well speaks for itself. Those are hard facts, Said, I am grateful you
write it here. As I said before, I didn't want to offend anyone, I hope
you don't get me wrong. I just want to understand it.

I studied the Agilent manual and found the error values I wrote in my
second chart. It seems to me, we have different spec sheets, or I just
read the wrong chart or the right chart wrongly. Please see chart.

While studying the manuals further, it becomes clear, that the dominant
error term is the time base error. Since we're using the reference as
input that might not be the issue, as long as we have a precise
reference. If you are using it portably, there will be even more reasons
for not using the SR.
> So in summary, the SR-620 requires careful user adjustment of internal
> adjustment points.
Yes.
> I don't have time to do that,
The first time I did it, it took me about 3h.
> An error of 2E-010 makes the
> unit useless as we are in need of measuring xE-011 accurately.
I can understand that point, I would kick it out the lab, if my one did
it that bad.
> ... but even then you
> showed a  2E-011 error on your carefully adjusted unit, whereas I measured
> a 2 to 8E-012  error on a random non-adjusted 53132A unit here.

The HP seems to be the more modern design. As I guess, the analog
circuits are to blame, maybe HP was able to make use of newer technologies.

Thanks

Volker