[time-nuts] Win XP and NIST Time

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 15:42:24 EDT 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM, J. Forster <jfor at quikus.com> wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> My question is really does NIST time change to DST. I'm completely happy
> with manually changing the time twice a year by hand. I'm trying to see if
> disabling the auto-update fixes the problem. Resetting a clock is not
> exactly a major task.

They keep time in UTC.  (they time at Greenwich England) then your
computer is set to some offset that might change twice per year.

The question is how are to communicating with "NIST"?  What kind of
software are you using.  Is it what shipped with MS Windows,then that
would be a dumbed-down version NTP or maybe you have a current
distripution if NTP.  Then the next queston is the set of time servers
you are using and how many of them.   Or perhaps you have a GPS you
are uins as a reference?   Then there is WWVB.  I think that signal
has a "daylight savings bit"in the data

But in all cases the conversion to local time is done locally.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California