[time-nuts] Win XP and NIST time

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 01:37:06 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
>> I think you can get Windows to run at the "few milliseconds" of error range
>> with the standard NTP distribution.

> I don't think I've seen anything that bad, but it's easy to be off by 100s of
> ms if I download something big like a CD or a long video

What I meant was that "you can get Windows to run at the "few
milliseconds" of error range".  not that it will be that good in every
case.   What I really meant was "don't expect uSec level timing from a
normal Windows system".   But is CAN be as good as a few mS.

In your case you'd need GPS or some other reference clock to get
there.  Most people are getting no better than 10s of mS over the
Internet
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California