[time-nuts] Releasing sources (was Re: Brooks Shera)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Mar 30 20:40:48 EDT 2013

k7tfc at arrl.net said:
> Some I know use a dedicated email address when they post things intended as
> open source. They then set up an auto-respond message such as:

Auto-responders are evil.  The problem is that spammer's forge the return
address.  The response to any spam that gets past your filters will go "back"
to an innocent victim.  To the victim, it looks like spam.  Don't be
surprised if you get added to black lists.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_%28e-mail%29
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_message#Bouncing_vs._rejecting

It's much better to put that message out where people are finding the email
address.

If you didn't plan ahead that far, most mail systems will let you reject mail
with some error text you provide which could include a URL.  That does
require cooperation from the people running the mail server so it probably
won't work if you use gmail, hotmail, comcast or similar services.  It's easy
if you or a friend run the mail server.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.