[time-nuts] GSP clock stabilitiy, Rb vs Cs

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Sat May 4 19:31:42 EDT 2013

The article available for download via this URL contains some history about development issues with Rb and Cs Clocks for GPS.   It seems at one point after the GPS system was placed into service a development program for new Cs GPS clocks failed and by necessity there was a shift towards Rb (at least for a period of time.)

http://www.insidegnss.com/node/281

I'm also speculating that the end of the cold war may have led to less emphasis being placed on the GPS system being able to operate for long periods of time without ground based intervention which would have further reduced the need to develop new and improved Cs clocks for the new GPS satellites.  (In the cold war era I recall seeing estimates of how long the GPS system could operate without ground based attention.)