[time-nuts] gpsd 1pps pulse?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed May 8 13:19:51 EDT 2013

I was going to write the same thing.  That the DCD line has nothing at
all to do with baud rate.  But that applies to a "real" serial port.
If this is being done on a Serial->USB dongle that all bets are off
and you'll never get really good result as USB adds to many software
laters.

You can buy a new motherboard with a real rs232 port for under $100
and used ones for even less.  I'd not recommend uSB for the PPS
signal.  It is OK for serial data but not for PPS. (that is if you
care about best accuracy.)

On the USB converter the fact that the dCD signal changed has to go
over the USB bus in a serial data packet and gt queued and then read
and acted on.  It is orders of magnitude worse.

But all that said, if you get NTP sync'd to within 20 uSec you are
more than good enough.  It takes some effort to get to the 2 uSec
level and heroic effort to break 1 uS.  For practical purposes you
have to decide what is good enough.  Some people are happily with 10
milli Sec.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California