[time-nuts] A Time-Nut's Worst Nightmare

Lachlan Gunn lachlan at twopif.net
Sat May 11 03:10:29 EDT 2013

>From https://github.com/akafugu/vetinari_clock :

	The firmware has a 'random' sequence of pulses which over 32 seconds
	moves the second hand 32 times. This sequence is long enough to give
	the appearance of randomness without unnecessarily consuming
	processor cycles. I chose 32 seconds as it means the pattern is
constantly
	offset from the 60 second rotation of the minutes. The 'random'
pattern
	is 128 steps (and is therefore checked 4 times a second). This means
the
	clock moves between 0-4 times within each actual second. By moving
	more or less in each of the 32 seconds the clock looks random,
however
	the sequence always moves the clock exactly 32 seconds in the 128
steps.

So there is no long-term drift, it seems, beyond that of the crystal.  I've
pulled the pseudo-random tick sequence out of the source code and found the
Allan variance, shown here:

	http://imgur.com/wF9F8pI

Thanks,
Lachlan