[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt, any easy way to create 500 MHz

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Wed May 15 15:53:13 EDT 2013

 I have a 500 MHz Hi-Q bandpass cavity. 15 pounds, silver plated brass.
All you need is a step recovery diode driven by the 10 MHz sq wave or
spikes, and a couple of amplifiers. Might have to keep it in a beer
cooler, but nothing's perfect :-)
Don

Chris Albertson
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM, <johncroos at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Re: Trimble Thunderbolt, any easy way to create 500 MHz
>>
>> 2. Use one of the modern phase lock loop chips with internal VCO from
>> National, Analog Devices, and others. The down side is that most of
>> these
>> require an associated PIC or similar processor to load - even for one
>> frequency. However for one with the required software skills this
>> would
>> most likely be the lowest cost and most straight forward approach.
>>

> Which chips to look at?   I've used a 4046 but it looks like there is
> something better with a digital interface that works a higher frequency.
>  What is the easiest to use and with affordable prices.
>
>    BTW While working with a bare PIC requires some hard to acquire
> skills,
> new uP platforms like Arduino make software easy for just about anyone.
> --
>
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road