[time-nuts] Time source for indoor standalone PC

Dave Brown tractorb at ihug.co.nz
Fri May 17 06:40:10 EDT 2013

If you can't get GPS signals 'inside' but you can get GSM coverage, site
screening can't be all that good, so rebroadcasting the data from an
external GPS receiver signal might be the best option. Just pick a transmit
frequency and power combination that also  provides coverage 'inside'- with
due regard for local regulatory issues etc.  Alternatively, if plus/minus a
few seconds is really all you want/need, any half decent OCXO should provide
a stable enough timebase for a totally isolated 'inside' clock. You haven't
indicated whether or not the 'inside' clock has to have any specific
relationship to time in the real world on the 'outside'. If it does, then
the OCXO option requires a regular 'check and correct' routine at a
frequency that is dependant on the stability of your OCXO.  The actual time
xfer should need no more than a digital watch with a seconds display or
something equivalent, given it need take no more than two or three minutes.
(How long does it take to walk through a couple of doors?)
Regardless of the implementation, you should preferably have a separate
master clock on the 'inside' that runs independently from your network-there
are a number of options to then feed its time into the network.
 DaveB, NZ