[time-nuts] aging/failure of un-powered xtal oscillators?

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Sat May 18 08:32:22 EDT 2013

The most common failure modes for electronics are a result of thermal
cycling and elevated average operating temperature. It appears that these
boards have seen neither, so you are on the good side of statistics.

That said, there are a number of failure modes that do not depend highly on
these two factors, and simply because the probability is low that thermal
cycle induced failure would occur, the probability is not zero.

On the other hand, any repair you do on electronic equipment also affects
future reliability. Replacing soldered components on old boards is a tricky
business unless done right. The boards have to be dry and you have to
minimize the stress on the board itself and components nearby when you heat
the board to unsolder a part. In some cases that means putting the board in
an oven to elevate it's temperature such that the thermal shock of the
soldering iron is not so great. That is particularly true if you replace
large components that require a lot of heating.

In my business (military aerospace), we do not routinely replace things
that we do not know with great certainty have to be replaced precisely for
these reasons.

I suggest it would be more effective to develop a screening program to make
sure the boards work (or if they don't, to identify the failure mode)
before attempting to replace any component.