[time-nuts] Good (cheap) PIC chip choice for project?

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Sat May 25 09:46:03 EDT 2013

I've decided I finally want to tackle learning how to use a PIC chip for some smaller projects. Can someone recommend me a good (and
cheap) PIC, and possible some literature (be it a book or website)? I have a fairly recent willem eprom programmer that I'm hoping I
can use.

I don't know what all the features PICs have, but for my first project I would like to have it connected to a serial port on one of
my Soekris' where it can grab info (i.e. the current time, or NTP/GPS info) and output that on a little LED display.