[time-nuts] Thunderbolt MV-89a OCXO Transplant?

Frederick Bray fwbray at mminternet.com
Tue May 28 10:36:41 EDT 2013

Looking at the archive, I noticed that several months ago someone
commented that the Morion MV 89A was a direct replacement for the OCXO
in the Trimble Thunderbolt in the sense that the Thunderbolt PC board is
configured to accommodate it.  However, I wasn't able to find further
details.

I have a spare Thunderbolt and a spare MV89A and I am considering doing
the transplant.  Before I tear the Thunderbolt apart, I have a few
questions:

1.  Has anyone actually performed the transplant?  (Does it work?)

2.  Are there any significant drawbacks and advantages to the transplant?

I am aware that the MV 89A may pull more current on the 12 volt line
than the Trimble and that the original Thunderbolt cover will no longer fit.

Thanks.

Fred Bray