[time-nuts] Thunderbolt MV-89a OCXO Transplant?

John Miles john at miles.io
Tue May 28 17:49:21 EDT 2013

Could also be worth considering the C-MAC STP 2055B DOCXOs being sold out of
China at the moment ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/170471367031 ).  Out of 14
units that I bought, three were excessively noisy and/or jumpy, eight were
good for <= 2E-12 at t=1s, and three were exceptional performers <= 3E-13 at
t=1s.  As with the Morion DOCXOs, their retrace, environmental sensitivity,
and long-term stability characteristics are outstanding.

Their broadband floor is around -155, a bit quieter than the MV89As.
Otherwise they're pretty similar, and he seems to have a large quantity of
them.  Unfortunately they won't plug directly into the Trimble PCB, as they
have some threaded mounting studs and an extra pin for a CMOS-level warmup
signal.  They could be modified or adapted without much trouble.

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC