[time-nuts] 32.768Khz Crystal/Resonator suggestions.

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Fri Nov 1 12:30:11 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I've got a project upcoming that will require a frequency of 32.768 Khz
in a harsh environment (Imagine a thousand G's at 100Hz with 150 Deg C
temperatures). Also, this thing needs to be small, 2mmx1.5x1.5mm or so.
It also has to be low power. Frequency stability is probably less of a
concern than just surviving (some frequency error vs. temp can be
trimmed out with other smarts in the design.

In the past, crystals just haven't liked surviving due to the
construction. Have had good luck with ceramic resonators at higher
frequencies (50Mhz and up). I've also looked at silicon oscillators,
which will work in the application, however with the chip and associated
resistors/caps they get a little bigger that what I was hoping for.

Is anyone aware of a frequency source (crystal/resonator or other) in a
small package that is robustly mounted?

Or are there any ceramic resonators available that are in small packages
in those low frequencies? I checked the big distributors, and did not
have any luck.

Dan