[time-nuts] The 5MHz Sweet Spot

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 2 22:40:40 EDT 2013

On 11/03/2013 02:45 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> I believe that you are talking to two very different groups, one who actually design the crystals and the other who use the products that are designed. One is talking about what they can buy, the other is talking about what could / could not be done and why.
This is an important point. There is in fact a few different twists to this:

1) What is the best you could buy off the shelf
2) What is the best you can buy off the shelf
3) What is the best that could be built with the available tools
4) What is the best that could be built with sky-is-the-limit budget
5) What is the best that could be built, as physical size becomes smaller

The last one is kind of relevant. Today packages shrink fast, and it's
very handy and all... but what about the performance we get. We can hug
our 5th overtone ovens all we want, but motivating their power and size
doesn't always cut it. It's like comparing with 5 inch blanks in Bob's
earlier post, it's more like 0,55 inch...

Cheers,
Magnus