[time-nuts] 3GHZ Extender for HP 53131A and 53132A

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Fri Nov 8 20:20:58 EST 2013

Hi Rick

As far as I'm aware this is pretty much a copy of the HP original which
used a Fujitsu, or similar, MB510-PF prescaler, so a sort of "what you see is
what you get" situation:-)

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR

richard at karlquist.com writes:

On  2013-11-08 15:49, GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote:

> At 1000 MHz,  the highest frequency I can generate right now, I've
>  measured
> the channel 3 input sensitivity as -50dBm with a  sinusoidal  signal.
>
> Regards
>
>  Nigel
> GM8PZR

This high sensitivity is probably a bad  thing, not a good thing.
It is indicative of a dynamic divider.  For a  frequency counter
prescaler, you want a static divider, such as the HP5386  used.
Dynamic dividers make errors if the signal being measured
has a  broadband noise floor or sufficiently high spurs at  any
frequency.

Rick Karlquist  N6RK
time-nuts mailing  list -- time-nuts at febo.com
To unsubscribe, go to