[time-nuts] 3GHZ Extender for HP 53131A and 53132A

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sat Nov 9 06:26:05 EST 2013

Hi Rick

Thanks for the clarification.

I'd thought at first you were suggesting these replacements were somehow at
 fault in comparison with the original design, which was the bit I couldn't
 understand since they seemed to be virtually identical, rather than
commenting  on the original design itself.

I'd quoted the sensitivity mainly because that seemed to be just  about the
only thing left to measure other than to say, "I plugged it in  and it
worked ok":-), but undertand the limitations better now

I still feel comfortable recommending these as a great value  substitute
for the HP original.

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR

-------------------------------------
Dynamic dividers oscillate when not driven.  Static dividers are  like
ordinary flip flops used for logic and do not oscillate when the  clock
signal is removed.

The MB510 is probably nothing great, even if  it was used by HP
in some counters.  I personally was to blame for  designing the MB506
into the 5334B counter.  I was trying to reduce  factory cost.
I knew perfectly well it didn't work all that well.  It  was at
least no worse that the divider used in the 5334A, which was
made  by HP in Santa Clara and cost $100.
The dividers that were made by HP in  Santa Rosa were much better
because they were static.  The 5386 used  these.  They were also
not cheap.

Rick Karlquist N6RK
HP 5334B  Project Manager