[time-nuts] Mains frequency (Tom Van Baak)

johncroos at aol.com johncroos at aol.com
Sat Nov 16 23:21:07 EST 2013

Tom -

I just had to comment---

Both assume some reasonable limit of mains df/f/dt. You can either
do it with a fancy $100 to $1000 reference signal generator + PLL or FLL + IQ
detector + professional box -- or with a $1 PIC and $0 s/w.

/tvb

You are of course correct. However I would most humbly point out that the cost of software is not zero if the time-nutter places any value on his or her time. If you figure your engineering direct labor rate is, for example $ 40 per hour, and the job takes 15 hours to program - you just blew $ 600 of your life. That assumes no issues crop up. Now as a private consultant or as a business that direct labor will be burdened with say about 130% overhead. So we are talking real money in terms of the value of your time. As a hobbyist you can contribute the time for free - but do under appreciate its value.

For an olde hardware guy like me (who can sorta program a PIC) a known harware approach causes me less fear and feeling of dread than the PIC approach. So we do what we are more comfortable with.

Enjoyable discussion though.

-73 john k6iql