[time-nuts] Mains frequency

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Mon Nov 18 21:35:35 EST 2013

The power supply contribution is interesting.  This might have been a useful
tool when a year ago I was playing with some very large inverters on a
microgrid.  I had one inverter as master (in UF mode) and two others as
grid-connected slaves in PQ mode.  The first slave would come online just fine
yet when the second was synched the entire microgrid would go unstable.  It was
noise at the zero crossings but not enough to see on a scope.

With all the distributed generation coming online I would be wary of relying on
those zero crossings.

Peter