[time-nuts] Off-Topic Question -- German Composition Resistors

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 13:26:45 EST 2013

Basic resistor has three color codes - two significant digits and a
multiplier - and then likely silver or (more commonly today) gold band.
Silver is 10%, gold is 5%.

A high -spec resistor can have extra color bands to denote things like
tempco, reliability, etc. and may have a non-silver and non-gold band for a
different tolerance range. You might've been reading the resistor
"backwards" without the gold band to help guide your eye, or confusing
significant digit bands with multiplier bands.