[time-nuts] Simulation of oscillator noise

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 28 09:28:48 EST 2013

On 11/28/13 1:35 AM, Wolfgang Wallner wrote:

> Hello Time-Nuts community,
>
> I'm interested in the simulation of oscillator noise (especially in discrete event simulators).
>

> PS: When I use the word oscillator I mean the cheap quartz oscillators as found in typical consumer electronic stuff.
> PPS: I'm not sure if this mailing-list is the right place to ask my questions, as simulation is not listed in your mailing-list topics. Sorry if this mail is off-topic.

I think it's the right place..  There's plenty of Allan deviation plots
and data here for just about any kind of oscillator you care to name.

One way to generate realistic spectra is to take white noise from a
random number generator and run it through a filter which has the right
shape (e.g. 1/f, etc.).

Essentially this is implementing the Leeson model explicitly.

A year or so ago, I was looking for a similar thing to simulate human
heartbeats (which have a 1/f characteristic, just like other
oscillators).
http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2013-February/074505.html

see also http://paulbourke.net/fractals/noise/