[time-nuts] FTS 4060 Cesium Time & Frequency Standard, Datum

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Tue Oct 1 22:35:54 EDT 2013

Tom,

I don't have any FTS CS units but I would be suspicious that the 'ion pump
voltage' of '0' really means that the ion pump current is 0.  And, if so, I
would be very suspicious of a dead HV supply or a shorted tube.

If it's anything like the HP units, you should be able to disconnect the CS
tube from the HV supply and measure the HV supply directly from the
connector on the chassis and, from the wire from the tube, measure the
resistance from the HV wire on the tube to ground.

On the HP units, HV should be about +3500 VDC and the resistance should be
infinite.  If the HV is absent, it's a HV supply problem and if the
resistance shows a short, you might be able to 'open' it by using the HV
supply to charge a HV capacitor then connect that to the tube (be careful,
HV really can hurt you) and see if it might 'blow' open the short (I was
able to do that to 'resurrect' an HP tube).

Good luck.

Joe