[time-nuts] Pendulum CNT91 with TimeLab

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Wed Oct 9 20:09:19 EDT 2013

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

If I configure the counter for compatible  mode, then set it up to measure
frequency as a 53131/53132 from the  "Acquire" menu and press the "Monitor"
button, TimeLab displays  the actual instrument name and then follows this
with line after line of  frequency measurements, for example, which so far is
looking pretty good.

If I then press the "Start Measurement" button it seems that TimeLab
requests the instrument ID again but then interprets the reply as an  incorrect
frequency measurement and reports an error, which I admit isn't  quite the
same as I suggested earlier.
The error message I was seeing was the same, I just didn't interpret  it
correctly.
Until checking again just now I've not had the Monitor  window displaying
anything either so hadn't realised measurements were  actually being accepted
at that point. Not sure what I was doing wrong  there but I guess the "user
issues" might still be very much alive and  kicking:-)

The messages I get after trying to start the measurement are, in  sequence
Preparing Acquisition....
Establishing Connection....
Error: Invalid Frequency Value "Tektronix, FCA3100, 149110, V1.28 25 Aug
2010 11:52

and that's where it stops.

To be fair to Pendulum they do seem to have implemented talk-only mode, or
at least they claim to have and there is a GPIB command to enable it, but
so far  I don't seem to have been able to get it to switch into that, or if I
have I  certainly haven't noticed:-)
There's several steps described in the manual for invoking talk-only mode
and some of those steps I can actually verify as having been  accepted as I
go along, but still not much sign of streaming data:-(

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR

In a message dated 09/10/2013 22:49:24 GMT Daylight Time, john at miles.io