[time-nuts] Choke Ring Antenna - Patch Placement?

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Thu Oct 10 20:02:20 EDT 2013

A "choke ring" or "feed choke ring" search will give you a lot of info.
For cylindrical feeds, the phase origin can be taken as at the opening.
So the patch height should be taken as the same placement as the opening
of a cylindrical feed, at least for starters. Heck, start out by using
what you find to determine the best size for a single ring. Sizes of
things scale with frequency or wavelength linearly, so the best size of
the pans you have can be calculated. The patch then goes just a little
below the edge of the pan. You may want to cut the rim down or not,
again scale a successful ring.
Don

Bob Stewart
> Hi Bob,
>
> Thanks Bob.  It's hard to say whether or not it attenuates at the lower
> elevations, but it does add gain to the higher ones.  Well, at least I
> have some idea what I'm shooting for.
>
> Bob
>

>>________________________________

“The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.”
-George Bernard Shaw

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLC