[time-nuts] Question concerning ADEV measurements

Robert Darby bobdarby at triad.rr.com
Fri Oct 11 22:27:26 EDT 2013

Thanks John and Magnus.

The reason I asked was that when I check the noise floor of my one and
only 5370, the result is noticably superior using the external clock.
Since the signal is coming from a single source fed through a MC ZFSC-2
splitter and unequal lengths of co-ax, variability in the signal source
should have no effect.  When I measure the 5370 with an external clock I
see 2.24E-11 at t0=1s with a straight -1 slope; with the internal clock
I see 4.43e-11 with periodic noise at about 11, 22, .... seconds.  This
suggests to me that the internal oscillator is not so hot.

Having only one 5065 I want to use it to both clock the 5370 and serve
as the reference; hence the question.  It seems to me by applying the
DUT to the start channel one avoids the issue of hitting the same range
of start values, assuming some phase change relative to the DUT.

Bob Darby