[time-nuts] NTP REFCLOCK for a Jackson Fury??

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 14:54:51 EDT 2013

This isn't NMEA but many NMEA GPSes work just find and if you read the NMEA
specifications the ascci data only has to be valid for the second in it is
output.  This allows for a random 0.9999...  second offset.

If your ref cock is bothered by a .999 second offset I'd argue the ref
clock software is broken because it makes a wrong assumption.   The ASCII
data is analogous to the old voice telephone service what says "at the tone
the time will be xxx ---- BEEP."  As long as she makes the announcement
before the beep and after the last beep it is perfectly in spec.

If the software depends on an EXACT and CONSTANT offset between the
announcement and the UTC second it is really not doing the correct thing
re. the specs.   But NTP ref clocks do make this assumption because many
times it is correct.   Many GPS receivers are predicable and each sentence
has a common offset.

I think there really is a difference between using two drivers, Atom for
PPS and some other for ASCII data vs. using a combined driver.  The
combined drivers are not forced into making the constant offset assumption
and use the PPS for timing and ASCII for numbering.   But if you look at
the stand alone drivers they use the ASCII for both numbering and timing.
So I argue the best model for your device is a combined driver.

Details like this about NTP ref clocks are best posted to the NTP list.
 The true experts live there

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California