[time-nuts] Time stamping with a PICPET

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Oct 26 01:48:32 EDT 2013

namichie at gmail.com said:
> There used to be all sorts of Monitor programs for PCs but I can not see any
> on recent machines. I want to log one second signals from a pendulum to
> analyse its precision. The device looks ideal for this task.

What are you going to use as a reference clock?

If you can convert your one-second ticks into a TTL signal and feed that to a
Linux box, the PPS stuff will allow you to log the data.  That uses your
local clock as the reference which is probably pretty close if you are
running ntpd.  (But since this is time-nuts, who says "pretty close" is good
enough?)

Here is a simple python script to log the data:
  http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2011-September/058907.html
It was targeted at 60 Hz but should work OK at 1 Hz.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.