[time-nuts] Time stamping with a PICPET

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 00:39:22 EDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

>  Modern gear
> on a LAN can do much better than 1 ms.  I get under 0.2 ms ping times.
>  Even
> going through a WiFi hop is mostly under 1 ms.

You are measuring ping times.  I was taking about the difference between
the system clocks of two computers on a typical campus or company network.

A ping is just a bounce.  A one time round trip.  System times staying in
sync is different and depends on all kinds of things like the air
conditioning cycles in different buildings, routers and who knows what
else.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California