[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

quartz55 quartz55 at hughes.net
Mon Sep 9 22:31:23 EDT 2013

OK, did a bit more reading.  I already understand the difference between accuracy and stability however.

I thought ADEV was some sort of measurement of accuracy, but I understand now it is a measure of stability over time.  I'm supposing now that I can assume that the best frequency accuracy I can imagine is what is specked in the book for the unit, <.8x10^-10.  That should be good enough for me.  Although most seem to say the GPSDO units are good for .1Hz at 10GHz which I think would be 10^-13 no?

Yeah, I've read through the h...cpp and a lot of it is greek to me, I'm no programmer, but I can pull a bunch of stuff out of it.  But it doesn't explain the acronyms or the meanings of them.

I've lowered the el mask to 20 and I get plenty of sats now.  When it was at 43, lots of times it was down to 2, now it's generally up to 6.  I'll see how it does, especially if it rains, and yes the trees really cover the antenna.  I am getting 30-40 or more dBc however which is what I had when it was more in the clear.  I can move it to the west about 30' on the chimney where my UHF/VHF beams are and it's a lot more open straight up and especially to the south.  The position where it is now is just real convenient and it's only maybe 25' from the unit.  Plus I didn't have to get up on that part of the roof that's 7 in 12.

Yes, I notice the gis for our county seems to have a slightly different co-ordinate system, they don't line up with google or the GPS which seem to agree as far as I can zoom in on our location.  I'd say the GPS and google are within a foot or 2.

I guess I can just turn off the temp chart if it's not going to report right and stop looking/worrying about it.  As long as the green lock light is on.  I wonder if I could trick the Nortel unit into thinking it's seeing the CM though, so the top green light would come on instead of the yellow one.  But that doesn't matter.

Thanks for all your help, I'll hang around for a while.

Dave
N3DT