[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 9 22:44:01 EDT 2013

I have a slightly earlier version, or a close cousin, of the NTBW50AA that
I modified and I've posted photos of it on this list before:
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac262/rjb1998/NTPB15AA05.jpg

The LH plot from the NTBW50AA by quartz55 doesn't look quite right. Here
is a LH plot from my NTPB15AA  unit with most of the scale factors set the
same as the scale factor in the plot from the NTBW50AA to make it easier
to compare.
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac262/rjb1998/NTPB15A_zps19b3bd33.jpg

If you look at the temp plot from my unit it has small steps and is what I'd
expect to see. The plot from the NTBW50AA looks like it has some smaller
steps but it looks like it hits a limit at 36.750 and doesn't go beyond that
value, which isn't right. It looks like a higher order bit is being turned on
and off randomly causing the large apparent jump in temp, which
probably isn't really happening because some of the other traces would
be affected by any real jump that large. You could just ignore it because it
would probably only have an effect during carryover.

The NTBW50AA oscillator  probably hasn't settled down yet because the
DAC voltage is changing a lot more than mine and the 10Mhz doesn't look
anywhere near as stable. The design of the 2 units appears nearly identical
so I'd expect similar performance. Also the OSC ADEV at 10000 tau isn't close
to what mine appears to be. That may improve after the unit has been on
for a month or so but the temp plot just doesn't look right so the sensor may
be bad.

-Arthur