[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun Sep 15 12:53:06 EDT 2013

Dave wrote:

>The only other place I can put it would be about 100' to the south
>on the fence line, and unfortunately it's so steep, I've lost about
>30' altitude there already.  So the farther away I get from the
>house to a clearer location, the lower it gets; in about 200 yards
>it drops 200'

The height of the antenna above average terrain doesn't mean a lot
with satellite signals.  What you need is a clear view of the sky
above 10 or 15 degrees elevation for as much of the azimuth as you
can arrange (and particularly the southern hemisphere of sky).  So,
for example, if you have a "high spot" on the property that is
covered with trees that you can't get above with your GPS antenna,
and a lower spot with a clear sky view, the lower spot is better for
a GPS antenna.  A hillside that slopes off to the south can be an
excellent location.  It sounds like somewhere to the south toward or
at the fence line may be your best location.  Use direct-burial coax,
rent a ditch witch for the day, and you're set.  Remember -- it is
clear sky view you are after, NOT height.

A bit of height above the nearby ground can help with
multipath.  Survey-grade choke-ring antennas are better about this by
design.  Some folks use a metal "ground plane" under the GPS antenna
(it is not really operating as a ground plane, rather, it is simply
shielding the antenna from low-incidence signals).  If the antenna is
at least 10 feet above the nearby ground and your elevation mask is
set to 15 degrees or more, you shouldn't have multipath problems
serious enough to degrade GPS timing (i.e., other errors will
dominate).  Note that the elevation mask can't reject the multipath
itself -- it doesn't steer the antenna sensitivity -- but low
satellites are the ones that suffer the most multipath unless you are
in an "urban canyon" or have other strong L-band reflectors nearby,
so by excluding low satellites you also exclude the multipath.  Since
low satellites also suffer the worst atmospheric variability,
excluding them generally tightens up the timing solution also.

Best regards,

Charles