[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

quartz55 quartz55 at hughes.net
Sun Sep 15 16:11:22 EDT 2013

Yes, I know it's not just the height of the trees, but the distance away and I'm really only getting 50-60' away at most and the hill is steep, it's about 20° in the worst spots.  This is not your flat suburban lot, it's in the foothills of the Blue Ridge.  The only flat spots are where we've made them.  I'll have to go out and do a visual survey to see which one actually gives more free sky from say 20° up.  Right now I'm tending towards the one towards the fence because it's not on the beam mast.  But I'll let this survey finish.  The WX is going to be good enough the rest of the week it'll be good outside working WX.

It looks like the fence is really only 15' lower, if I put it at the arrow between those 2 gardens, I can keep the coax run at 100' and still have it up maybe 15'. http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg287/DogTi/time/land_zps9ee07b7a.jpg

Dave
  It's not just the height of the trees, it's the horizontal distance
  from the antenna location to the trees, too -- the elevation angle
  above the antenna location (elevation = arctan (tree height/distance
  to trees) (in this case, "tree height" means height of the trees
  above the horizontal plane of the antenna, so it includes any
  difference in the ground height at the tree location, as well).

  At the end of the day, you want the most open sky you can get,
  particularly the southern hemisphere of sky, but the lowest
  elevations (say, under 20 degrees elevation) are not nearly as
  important as 20 through 90 degrees.

  Best regards,

  Charles

  and follow the instructions there.