[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 20:28:15 EDT 2013

All of this talk about antenna position has got me thinking about a
better place for my antenna.  I live in a rental townhouse and have no
access to the roof and even if I did bringing a cable in from outside
would be difficult, so  am pretty much limited to an indoor antenna.  My
current antenna location is in   a window on the second floor facing
north west at a bearing of about 300 degrees, about 15 ft above the
ground, as as many of you might guess it is not working that well.

Looking around one possible other location would be on the top floor
about 10 ft higher , with a straight out bearing if about 120 degrees on
an exterior wall. The building is wood frame with drywall on the inside,
fibreglass insulation and the exterior is covered with vinyl siding.
Ideally I would like to stand the antenna in the corner of the room, but
if it would make any difference there is a window in the room I could
place the antenna in front of.  This location will place it nearly as
high as the surrounding roof tops and beyond that there is nothing as I
an near the height of land in the area and a couple miles to the south
is the Atlantic Ocean and its all water after that.  The townhouse was
pre-wired with RG-6 coax and I could use that to bring the signal to
where my Nortel unit is.  From what I gather RG-6 cable will work fine
but I have a couple of concerns.

1. To get to where the receiver is I will need to go through the cable
drop in the room where I plan to put the antenna, to the basement where
all the drops are terminated, and then back up on another drop, so I
will end up with 4 segments of cable and three couplings, will these
couplings be and issue?  The connectors involved would be F connectors.

2. At the antenna end it would be more convenient to use a piece of
RG-59 cable between the antenna and the wall since it already has a TNC
connector on the end that I need for the antenna, since they are both 75
ohm cables I don't think it would be an issue but I don't know for sure.

One final question when we set a filter for elevation is that the
elevation above ground or the elevation above the plane of the antenna?

Paul.