[time-nuts] Doppler and FMT

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Sep 21 11:40:00 EDT 2013

On 09/20/2013 04:34 AM, quartz55 wrote:
> But when working with clocks (time, frequency, stability measurements) this assumption often not true and it's helpful to think of averaging more as a disease than a cure.
>
> /tvb
>
> I can understand that.
>
> Dave
Rather, averaging is a good tool when applied right. In the field of
time and frequency, it can be tricker to apply it right, as it does not
always do what you expect it to do.

When we collect our stability measures for instance, we average only
after we have done pre-processing tailored to handling the obscure
noises we have that would otherwise make our averaging blow-up in our faces.

So, like any tool, it needs to be applied with proper knowledge.

Cheers,
Magnus