[time-nuts] HP 5061A Problem

Adrian rfnuts at arcor.de
Sat Sep 21 15:08:32 EDT 2013

Corby,

many thanks for the comprehensive instructions.

After the harmonic generator alignment I measured 90mV into the 10Meg
DMM input, so the beam current should be 9nA.
The floor with the harmonic generator pot fully ccw was 6nA.

I didn't change the generator output during the LF test. To get to the
maximum, I just had to increase the frequency up to about twice the
initial value of some 21kHz. The peak was a lot above the noise.

But, now I'm suspecting that the CBT has probably been exchanged by the
previous owner and not been set up correctly.
Either he decided to dispose a dead CBT or he gave up half way... I hope
the latter.
On the CBT label it says EM voltage -1615V. The applied voltage is
actually -2500V.
I see in an old post you mentioned that the higher voltage should be ok
for now.

Well, and something with the Zeeman frequency appears to be wrong, too.
The measured (some) 41,6kHz from the LF test don't match the 53.53kHz
sticker on the door. So I'm wondering what else needs to be checked.

The synthesizer output is 12.631,771,6MHz as indicated in the manual.

Btw. this 5061A has Opt. H96 which seems to indicate the added alarm and
continuous operation outputs on the rear, and a A5 time delay divider.
There is no clock.

Thanks,
Adrian