[time-nuts] How To Measure Long Term Phase Stability Of An Oscillator

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Sep 22 16:42:01 EDT 2013

Jeff,

Sorry if I was unclear in the first message, but I was tired.

The factor of 3 that I have in the first message is a huge
approximation, and could be a higher value for higher confidence
interval. It's an attempt to handle the chi-square distribution margin
for some probability of staying within. I used 3, as the traditional
engineering margin for the usual gaussian distribution, mostly because I
was to tired to dig up the propper value, but it doesn't really care as
it is an approximation never the less and in the right direction.

The underlying point is that you need to estimate the systematic and
random effects separately, and then fit them together with their quite
drastic different probability behaviors. You can't use either of the
tools as the single tool, unless you have a fairly good idea of the
dominant part, which I can't in this case.

I discussed this point with Dr. Allan, and he only knew of a pair of
articles even covering this aspect, but he agreed on the overall approach.

Cheers,
Magnus