[time-nuts] Acam TDC's

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sun Apr 6 01:37:10 EDT 2014

Just requested quotes on chips and eval from american distributor.  Funny you
can buy the chips from the Chinese, no quotes, no fuss and cheap as hell
shipping.  In the US we still sell electronics as if they were 19th century
goods; distributors, jobbers, wholesalers, retail if anyone will inventory
the stuff.
Maybe Adafruit or somebody like that will offer it on a breakout board?
I'll let you know when I hear. If 22 ps is right, one of these chips and a
Raspberry pi or Beaglebone will be great!

This country is slowly killing itself with layers of goo.
Don

paul swed
> Angus
> Yes I did a fast check and couldn't find anyone in the US that seemed to
> carry it. The eval kit looks nice but will speculate its quite costly.
> That said I could see some uses for it like you say it has some things
> built in to eliminate false triggers and such. Just need to know if $1.59
> or $159 each.
> Cheap chips I may play with.
> Regards
> Paul.
>

> On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Angus <not.again at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's not exactly cutting edge resolution etc, but for a ready to go
>> chip, it's not at all bad. In theory, it looks like it should be
>> useful in a lot of the places that counters like a 53131/2 get used,
>> but it can sample very much faster than them. It also has useful
>> temperature inputs.
>>
>> Most of the projects I've come across don't stretch its performance so
>> I'm just interested if someone has really tested it.
>> If not, I expect I'll find out more when I get it up and running.
>>
>> Angus.
>>

>> On Fri, 4 Apr 2014 18:27:05 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>> >Angus
>> >An interesting chip. I had never heard of it before and suspect this may
>> be
>> >the gizmo used in closed system water leak detection. Won't go into why I
>> >know about that.
>> >I did find comments from 2007 about the chip and atmega but nothing since.
>> >When I went looking for distributors or pricing to get an idea came up
>> >empty. Though Amazon will sell you lots of vitamins or something called
>> TDC.
>> >
>> >So with all that said I will guess that for time-nuts purposes the
>> >capabilities of this chip have been far exceeded by the various array
>> >technologies we have at very cheap prices today. The ability to create
>> long
>> >counters at very high speeds.
>> >Only a guess though.
>> >Regards
>> >Paul.
>> >WB8TSL

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who
have not got it."
 -George Bernard Shaw

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLC