Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Apr 19 08:06:07 EDT 2014

Hi,

On 04/18/2014 03:17 PM, HagaaarTheHorrible wrote:
> Hi Dave and thanks for the quick answer!
> My thesis is about a phase noise measurement device I developed, which primary use is to measure phase noise/jitter of audioband DACs. I probably won't be focussing on jitter too much but would like to know if there even is one accepted standard definition.
> For example, in the different definitions I found so far, the seperation between jitter and wander sometimes is given to be at 1Hz, 10Hz and sometimes just mushy definitions like "very low frequencies"...
> I doubt it is that important for my thesis anyway, but I'd really like to know for myself, so if anyone has a pointer for me it would be greatly appreciated!

As I have mentioned in another thread, 10 Hz is a value being used for
many telecom systems. In reality the value can be moved around. "jitter"
and "wander" is just like "flutter" and "wow" terms coined a little from
how they where perceived for different effects, but they all relate to
phase variations.

I would either avoid them, or use them with care after defining them
according to what best fits your needs. "In this thesis jitter is
defined as... while wander is defined as...".

Since you are into audio and jitter, look up Julian Dunn's papers and
AES preprints. He has an interesting analysis of jitter-sensitivity in
audio, which you should include in your set of references.

Cheers,
Magnus