[time-nuts] optically excite a quartz crystal?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 20 20:31:24 EDT 2014

Quartz is piezoelectric, so it deforms due to electrostatic fields and
vice versa. This is exactly what is being used in quartz oscillators.
For the BVA, the resonator is hanging in bridges of the same quartz
crystal it is being cut out from, and the orientation of the blank is
such that these bridges have minimal impact on the frequency. The other
aspect is that BVAs have the electrodes on concave quartz pieces just a
few micrometers from the surface of the resonator blank. These pieces is
really the expensive part of the BVA sandwich.

There are a couple of ways to monitor the crystal using optical measures.

The manipulation and sensing is done by electrostatic means, while the
crystal itself is resonant by means of acoustical waves.

So well, I guess you could be using another 10 MHz crystal as an
acoustical transmission source... but why is the big question. When
someone figures out why this is a super solution, I bet they won't tell
us until the patent has been accepted.

Cheers,
Magnus