[time-nuts] Wenzel oscillator - L1 value?

lists at philpem.me.uk lists at philpem.me.uk
Wed Apr 23 10:23:24 EDT 2014

Hi,
I'm currently playing around with crystal oscillators (specifically a homebrew OCXO) and came across the Wenzel low-distortion crystal oscillator:
http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles1/pdfs/xtalosc.pdf

This uses an inductor (L1) to trim the crystal frequency, with the note that a varactor/varicap could be added to allow the frequency to be trimmed electronically.

Has anyone built one of these oscillators?

How would you pick a value for L1? I've been reading up on other crystal oscillator types (Colpitts, Clapp,...) and have yet to find anything which uses this style of frequency trimming.

Where would I add the varactor if I wanted to add EFC? Across C3?

Thanks.
--
Phil.
philpem at philpem.me.uk