[time-nuts] Low SNR GPS reception and cheap LNAs

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Apr 26 06:52:04 EDT 2014

On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 12:25:11 +0200
Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:

> If you have a passive antenna, put a LNA right at the antenna, since any
> cable damping will cause the S/N to go down. Also, if you put an
> aditional amplifier in line, your want that too up at the antenna.
> Then, low-loss cable should be natural.

My current antenna is an cheap patch antenna. It has an LNA, but aparently
it's not enough. I talked with a few gnuradio people and they basically
told me that the GNSS-SDR software needs a strong signal for acquisition.
Ie. i realy need to put the antenna somewhere with good skyview.

I ordered 4 of those lna4all, so that problem should be solved.

I'm also getting a better antenna and we'll see how much signal i can
get out of this place.

			Attila Kinali

--
I pity people who can't find laughter or at least some bit of amusement in
the little doings of the day. I believe I could find something ridiculous