BIll Ezell wje at quackers.net
Mon Aug 4 19:05:03 EDT 2014

Every cell phone I've ever had figures out the timezone by itself in the US and in every country in Europe and Asia I've been to.

It used to be basically automatic (automagic?) with CDMA; the local tz offset from UTC, plus the correction offset for GPS time (which the basestations had directly) to UTC was included in messages on the sync channel.

3G and LTE use different mechanisms, as I described.

On 8/4/2014 2:21 PM, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com>

--
Bill Ezell