[time-nuts] Cutler NAA on 24.0kHz....

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sat Aug 16 12:20:34 EDT 2014

On 16 Aug 2014 at 11:33, Bob Camp wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would be *very* surprised if the NAA antenna was 50% efficient (transmitter RF
> to radiated power).....

According to this:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/145116437/THE-BIGGEST-LITTLE-ANTENNA-IN
-THE-WORLD-US-Navy-s-VLF-antenna-at-Cutler-Maine

The company which designed and built the dual trideco antenna system at
Cutler had to guarantee >50% radiation efficiency, and they achieved an
antenna radiation efficiency of 74.9% when using the 6 panel trideco.

When I read this, I was truly amazed.

Although, this site:

http://www.navy-radio.com/commsta/cutler.htm

does say that with 2 MW input, the ERP is 1 MW, which would indicate at
least 50% radiation efficiency.

I am still amazed.

> Given that it´s already up and running with good signal levels, that´s not a big
> deal.

Very true indeed.

Ken W7EKB