[time-nuts] Cutler NAA on 24.0kHz....

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Sun Aug 17 10:52:43 EDT 2014

Gang,

Just for fun I just tried to see if I could hear the signal on 24 kHz
using my GPS referenced HP-3586B and a HP-3336A also GPS locked to
compare the I.F. frequency using a 1:1 Lissajou pattern.  It's 7:30
AM here in Los Angeles.  I heard a signal but I doubt that it was
NAA.  What time of the day would be best, probably when the entire
path is dark?  My antenna is a dipole about 30-feet on a side, which
is really all I've got up at the moment.  It's orientation favors
that part of the country.  I hear WWVB at 60 kHz almost all the time
with that antenna.  WWVB is quite recognizable because of the phase
shift signature as seen on my X-Y display.

Burt, K6OQK

>From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006 at frontier.com>
>To: paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com>
>
>On 16 Aug 2014 at 10:24, paul swed wrote:
>
> > Ken
> > At least last night NAA was running just fine using a fluke 207 and 4 ft of
> > wire. The antenna is behind a metal rack that shields it in NAAs direction.
>
>Ha! At VLF you could probably bury your antenna in a grounded, steel pipe 4
>feet into the ground and still hear NAA.

> > did that test out of curiosity.
>
>I LOVE curious... :-)
>
>Ken W7EKB

Burt I. Weiner Associates