[time-nuts] Ublox neo-7M GPS

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 12:35:25 EDT 2014

Good day all,

On another list to which I subscribe, there has been chatter about the Ublox
neo-7M GPS receiver. It seems that the device's configurable timepulse
output is configurable from 0.25hz to 10 MHz as well as it's duty cycle and
can also be set to be one condition when the GPS is not locked and a
different condition when locked (i.e. 1 PPS if not locked, 10KHz when
locked).

This seems all too good to be true. Sounds like a very simple self-contained
GPSDO.

I don't know anything more about the device. I have just downloaded the
documents and will be spending some time reading them.

I am curious if any other list members were aware of this feature of this
device and have had any first hand experiences with it.

There is another model, the 7N. the 7M uses a simple crystal clock, the 7N a
TXCO.

Cheers, Graham ve3gtc

Graham,

Take a look at the data sheet.  The waveforms at frequencies other than 8
MHz (IIRC in other modules) and sub-multiples may not be all you desire.
However, I would be delighted to see testing of this box by a qualified
frequency-nut!

  http://www.u-blox.com/en/download/documents-a-resources/u-blox-7-gps-modules-resources.html
  http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloads/Product_Docs/NEO-7_DataSheet_%28GPS.G7-HW-11004%29.pdf
  http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloads/Product_Docs/u-blox7-V14_ReceiverDescriptionProtocolSpec_Public_%28GPS.G7-SW-12001%29.pdf