[time-nuts] Ublox neo-7M GPS

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Thu Aug 21 06:34:01 EDT 2014

Sorry but I disagree. Having done extensive work with the M7 and M6 in
connection with the with GPSDO work we are doing we have characterized the
units  extensively.  First from what we can see the difference between a SSR-6T
and a $ 16 M6 is that one has a TCXO and outputs sawtooth correction data
but  uncorrected both are the same.
Last year we did extensive work on Brooks GPSDO and it works well with
uncorrected M12's and ublox $ 16 M6's.  With a Morion we got 1  E-12.
With a geometry shrink in the M7 silicon higher frequency is possible and
also lower power. Ublox most likely wants lower power and higher
performance but not necessarily lower sawtooth because those OEM's that  need it will
get a version with sawtooth data. Basic engine is still the same.  Time nuts
are not a big enough market.  Sawtooth is smaller compared to the  M6 doe
to the higher clock frequency and it is safe to assume that when they  come
out with a M8 it will even be less.
On the universal controller we have a GPS filter not correction on the
input that does improve performance.
I took a page out of Ulrich's work when I saw a picture of his GPSDO where
he thermally isolated his M12. With the FE 5680 work I made the M12 part of
the  Rb by mounting it with metal stand offs to the backplate of the Rb.It
in turn is  temperature controlled.
In the case of my FE 405B work I actually placed the M6 inside the OCXO
took the battery off. I think I have a picture if interested.
Not knowing that it can not be done I did what I call a GPS-PLL using a M7.
 Attached  is the board layout on the right side is what we are presently
using with the Morion, on the left is a version for 5 V OCXO's so Hams can
use  12 Volt. The one on the right is driven by readily available parts for
any Ham  and no adjustments. Total cost not counting GPS and OCXO below $ 10.
We are  still fine tuning the filter but right out of the box we got 1
E-10. This is for  Ham's not time nut standard. Data exceeds attachment
limitations but any one can  contact me off list and I will send it. We destroyed
the M7 have not figured out  how but a new one is on order and once testing is
completed schematics will also  be available.  I have the bad habit layouts
first documentation maybe  second. Frustrating for the team, but I am
getting better. As I said before  mainly for Ham's and one of our Australian team
member will roll it out to the  Ham community. But any body is free to use
it I just think time nuts can do  better.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 8/21/2014 1:30:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,