[time-nuts] EFC info on Trimble 34310-T OXCO

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sat Aug 23 12:30:38 EDT 2014

Hi Charles,

I agree with your statement regarding the determination of the optimum
time constant, but, as Bob Camp mentioned, temperature change has a
significant impact on setting the value.  My 'lab' is a
non-airconditioned bedroom.  My Tbolt doesn't have any active
temperature control.  If I set the time constant to the point that Lady
Heather thinks is optimum, I see large swings in PPS offset when I open
the window and the temperature changes by a few degrees C.  If I leave
the time constant at the default of 100 seconds, the swimgs are
drastically reduced.  Active temperature control is on my 'round tuit' list.

I don't think you're correct about the Miller GPSDO containing a Shera
controller.  The Miller design is famous for having no processor - just
simple analog hardware.  It even says that on the page you referenced.
That's one reason why his settings aren't optimum.  It's impractical to
get long time constants with the simple analog circuitry that he uses.
Despite that, his design still has a 'time nuts' level of performance.

Ed