[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz 3210 Cesium Standard

Chris syseng.greenfield at btconnect.com
Thu Aug 28 12:19:24 EDT 2014

On 08/28/14 14:39, bownes wrote:
> Careful Chris, it sounds like you are developing the symptoms of the Vintage strain of the time nuts infection. Next thing you know, you will be looking at tall clocks.
>
> Bob, who is debating the wisdom of non invasively synchronizing the family heirloom tall clock to the new cesium clock...

It all started with the need for an accurate standard for the home lab.
I had one of the Racal double oven standards for years, but a pot core
transformer on the inner oven control board went open circuit on one
winding and was unable to fix it at the time. Then bought the Z3816 on
Ebay, which was working fine for years until the oscillator EFC became
unstable and of course, then one thing leads to another.

As for clocks, have a collection of synchronous motor clocks awaiting
restoration and a couple of pendulum clocks - A gents pulsynetic and an
IBM clock from the 1940's, quarter sawn oak case and all. I do embedded
systems here and the IBM master clock is appropriate - an example of how
IBM didn't only build computers. It's a work of art, with thick brass
plates for the mechanism and much of it gold plated to reduce corrosion.
The self winding mechanism had a broken bracket on the solenoid
armature, metal fatigue over the years I guess. That's been completely
stripped, cleaned, sparingly relubed and now working as it should.

So, not really an obsession, but definately a growing interest area :-)...