[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361, curious observation

Doug Ronald doug at dougronald.com
Mon Dec 1 16:20:44 EST 2014

I have also received mine, and powered them with my GPS antenna indoors. After a 20 minute wait, I had full lock, and proceeded to compare the 15 MHz to WWVB. I saw a 20 degree shift in 4 hours which was pretty linear. I don't know if that is WWVB's propagation variation, or the Lucent "warming-up", but I'm a happy camper as I have never had a decent reference here before. I have not yet tapped into the diagnostic information available on the "Diagnostic" port.

I have a couple questions which someone may have an answer for:
1) Every once-in-a-while, REF-1's "NO GPS" LED will flash. It flashes twice, three times, or four times, then back to extinguished for a long time. Anyone also see that on theirs, and what might the unit be trying to tell me?
2) What is the 5 MHz crystal oscillator locked to? If it the L1 or L2 carrier - cool, or the PRN code clock - okay, but if it is the 1 PPS - ugh. Since the sync signal must go through the jumper cable, I suspect it is the 1 PPS. Anyone know, and if it is the 1 PPS, is that as ugly as I believe?

-Doug Ronald